Saturday, August 12, 2006

15 Minutes of Fame, Part 1


It was Mark Twain who said, “I don't care what they say about me as long as they spell my name right” - which is strange, because his name was actually spelled S…A…M…U…E…L…C…L…E…M…E…N…T…S. Andy Warhol said that in the future everyone would have 15 minutes of fame, and how true those words turned out to be in these days of text blogs, YouTube personal video posts, and forums. The guys at the Lux forums have got keen on the idea of reviewing maps themselves over the last day or two, an idea which, while meritorious, will probably soon fall by the wayside once the initial buzz wears off. Still it was gratifying to see that my 'Monopoluxy' map was the first one chosen for the 'treatment', even though I personally don't think it's anywhere near my best. To my mind it looks nice but plays too easily. So much for my 15 minutes of fame.

Lux member Blind Willie (his avatar is shown here - I'm no Optometrist but I think I might know his eyesight problem…) didn't like the background picture, which was fairly blurry. What I saw clearly as an ANZAC soldier, spitfire plane and naval destroyer, he saw as an 'out-of-focus hillbilly'. Ah the differences of perspective.

So today I'll probably fish out the original artwork for Monopoluxy and clear the background up a bit, but in the meantime, here's a link to the forum and the conversation, which got just a bit silly in the end (it is, after all, SillySoft!)

Lux MapLab - Monopoluxy Review

No comments: